Winter 2019/20 is wonderful
Yes, we are ‘closing’ as normal but our Winter Season is always at least as busy as the open-doors summer. Out of season visitors just need to contact us
Here are the key dates so far including our highly popular and carefully researched Winter Talks:
- Quiz Night @ The Red Lion: Thursday 17 October, 7.30pm
- Winter Talk #1 – The Monmouth Rebellion (Bruce Upton): Tuesday 19 November, 2.30pm
- Winter Talk #2 – The Romans in Dorset (Chris Tripp): Tuesday 3 December, 2.30pm
- Coffee Morning: Saturday 7 December, 10.00am
- Christmas Concert with Parnham Voices: Friday 13 December, 7.30pm
- Friends’ AGM: Thursday 9 January, 2.30pm
- Winter Talk #3 – The Battle of Britain over Dorset (John Smith): Tuesday 21 January, 2.30pm
- Winter Talk #4 – Stories from the Jurassic (Sam Scriven): Tuesday 4 February, 2.30pm
- Winter Talk #5 – A convict ship museum visits Dorset (Diana Trenchard): Tuesday 18 February, 2.30pm
- Winter Talk #6 – Water meadows of West Dorset (Duncan Harris & Alan Wakefield): Tuesday 3 March, 2.30pm
- Book Sale: Saturday 7 March, 10.00am
- Winter Talk #7 – Bath & fashion in the 18th century (Penny Ruddock): Tuesday 17 March, 2.30pm
- Winter Talk #8 – The poor and the Poor Laws in Georgian Beaminster (Pauline Thorne): Tuesday 31 March, 2.30pm
- Preview Evening: Thursday 9 April, 6.00pm
- Museum re-opens: Friday 10 April, 10.30am
Finds Identification Morning at Beaminster Museum
Saturday 17th August 10.30am – 1.00pm
Identify that Find!
Free drop-in morning 10.30am-1pm for you to bring things you have found that may be historical, in your garden, on a walk, metal detecting, whatever. Ciorstaidh Hayward Trevarthen, Dorset’s specialist Finds Liaison Officer, will explain what they are and record where it was found. No charge, you keep the item, but this is your chance to record your find for posterity! If you’re bringing a lot of things please contact the Museum to book on email@example.com or 01308 863623.
Our museum is always busy with Events during the Autumn and Winter months. Visitors are very welcome to join us. If you wish to bring a large group to any of the talks, it would be helpful if you could let us know beforehand so that we can prepare the space accordingly. Events are given in date order. Entrance for each talk in the Winter Talks series is £3 per person (sorry, no concessions).
29 October Museum closed for the Winter Season. Fear not, you can contact us for special requests although the Summer Season temporary displays will be dismantled as we prepare for 2019.
Tuesday 6 November, 2.30pm Winter Talk: A time-traveller’s guide to Beaminster south of the Square 1647-1842 (Pauline Thorne)
Tuesday 20 November, 2.30pm Winter Talk: Where did Dorset people go in the 1800s? (Jane Ferenzi-Sheppard)
Tuesday 4 December, 2.30pm Winter Talk: The Jurassic Coast in a global context (Richard Edmonds)
Tuesday 15 January, 2.30pm Winter Talk: 160 years of Auctioneering (Mark Lewis)
Tuesday 5 February, 2.30pm Winter Talk: When the Germans invaded Dorset (Brian Bates)
Tuesday 19 February, 2.30pm Winter Talk: Kitson & Trotman: 260 years of a Dorset Practice (Michael Conroy)
Tuesday 5 March, 7.30 pm Winter Talk : Revitalising the County Museum – the Tomorrow’s Museum project (Peter Down, Trustee, County Museum) Note the time!
Tuesday 19 March, 2.30 pm Winter Talk: Setting the scene for the invasion of Normandy (Chris Copson, The Keep Military Museum)
Thursday 18 April, 6.00pm ‘Friends and Volunteers’ Private preview
Friday 19 April, 10.30am Open for new season!